Sunday, June 13, 2010

Why do I cook

A dear friend last night challenged me last night to help her rediscover her joy of cooking. I've since spent my idle hours thinking this challenge over. Running the gauntlet of why I cook, why I eat, how I spend my time in the kitchen has changed over the years. So I'm taking the step of capturing these thoughts.

I'll start with a couple of basic premises as to where I think I am now.

I live to eat.
Since the before the birth of my daughter Boo. I've taken physical exercise a lot more seriously. To the point I've engaged in multiple weeks of consuming under my resting metabolic rate of calories. With the bulk of the nutrition coming from Protein. Just enough carbohydrates and fat for the body to function. While researching this eating approach it comes clear that there are people who only eat because they know they have to. I am NOT one of those people.

Cooking is creative and even meditative
My day job is creative. I get to build technology for others to use. The technology I've always built has always been on the bleeding edge. There are no prior examples to work of. Which means that it can be frustrating trying to make the laws of physics bend in ways that weren't planned. This situation has stepped up several notches over the last couple of years. Where my team and I have been trying to do this with what is still Beta software.
The ability to come home at the end of the day. Create a dinner out of raw ingredients is really and instant form of gratification. There is also the element of taking the basic cooking skills. Dicing an onion, stirring the pot, frying a piece of meat. It all conforms to a set of rules that aren't going to change because the butcher was having an off day when he carved up the cow, using his 6" knife rather than the 7" knife.

I'll leave it to two reasons for now. Time will tell whether these two are right.

No comments:

Post a Comment